“Do not be deceived…” There is one walking about as a roaring lion throughout the world seeking those he can devour. (1Pet. 5:8). His method of devouring is found in his character. As we ended yesterday we begin today, remembering, “…the devil was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him…he is a liar, and the father of it.” (John 8:44).
Our heavenly Father warns and commands us through Paul’s writings in Galatians 6:7:
“Do not be deceived…”
- By thinking you can serve two masters. “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other…” “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (Matt. 6:24; 1John 2:15).
- By adopting the world’s philosophy of all go to heaven. “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.” If these don’t who does? Those “…washed…sanctified…justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” (1Cor. 6:9-11, ESV.).
- By adopting the doctrine of grace teaching one born of God can live in sin. “Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he (Christ) is righteous.He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” (1John 3:7-9).
- By thinking you only need follow your heart. “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” “For from within, out of the heart of the man, that defileth the man…all these evil things come from within and defile the man.” (Jeremiah 17:9; Mark 7:21,23).
“God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”
- “…he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting…let us not grow weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Gal. 6:8)
- “Wisdom cries aloud…’How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge…I…called and you refused to listen…I…will laugh at your calamity. I will mock when terror strikes you…Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord, would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their ways and have their fill of their own devices…but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.” (From Prov. 1:20-33, ESV).
Who is master/Master of your life? Paul issued God’s warning, His command. The command brings knowledge of sin. So, we know what we shouldn’t do, but there is a war going on in our flesh crying out, How?! My hope is to address that tomorrow as we ask the question, Defeat or Victory?