“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:” Matt. 6:19-20.
“Grandma! Grandma! Does Grandpa have a shovel? We want to dig for treasure!”
“What kind of treasure?”
“Rubies, diamonds, maybe even gold! Remember, you said in our camp talk today there’s gold everywhere! We want to find some.”
Put that way, I found shovels for my three grandsons and great-niece to start digging in our muddy garden spot. Grandpa didn’t particularly like the big hole in the middle of his garden. The littlest one cried when Grandpa filled the hole because he had ruined their chances of becoming rich.
The Bible speaks of the treasures we seek. The one thing I know is you can’t find the treasure if you don’t open the treasure chest. This brings us full circle to our blessing for this week.
“Blesssed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD. Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.” Ps. 119: 1,2.
- “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
- the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
- The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart:
- the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
- The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever:
- the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
- More to be desired are they than gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
- Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.” Ps. 19:7-11.
Open the treasure chest, you will find it’s filled with the perfect word of God.
What other treasures does the word of God hold?
- Hope of salvation: “My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word” Ps. 119:81
- Light &Understanding: “The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.” Ps. 119:130.
- Everlasting truth: “Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.” Ps. 119:160.
- Righteousness: “My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.” Ps. 119:172.
Uncovering the treasures of God’s word begins with a desire to know God through his word, a commitment to digging into its depths. In the digging you will find the greatest treasure is the love of the word that grows the love of God in your heart.
“Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness…The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver…O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day…Therefore I love thy commandments above gold: yea, above fine gold.” Ps. 119:40,72,97, 127.
“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Matt. 6:21.
You have the treasure chest open it and be blessed.