“For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.: I am the LORD your God.” (Lev. 11:45)
Before you can walk with God, you must walk on the same road He travels. Leviticus teaches how to do this showing us a shadow of things to come as the Lord unfolds the requirements for offerings.
“ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy… Therefore shall ye keep my commandments, and do them: I am the LORD.” Lev. 22:31.
The Lord’s call remains the same today. Herein lies their challenge and ours.
“But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation…Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him…And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.” (1Pet. 1:15;1John 2:15; Eph. 5:11).
In Leviticus the Lord shadowed the pathway to holiness, enabling the Israelites to approach Him until the fulfillment of the laws and sacrifices came to pass in Jesus Christ.
“If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD. And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him…and he shall kill the bullock before the LORD: and the priests…shall bring the blood, and sprinkle the blood round about upon the altar that is by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.” Lev. 1:3-5.
The Offering: Burnt-Completely poured out:
- Christ…“And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.” Phil 2:8
- Us…”Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.” Rom. 6:6
Without blemish: Fulfills God’s requirement for holiness.
- Christ…“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world…And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.” 1John 2:2;3:5.
- Us…”But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.” Rom. 6:22.
Voluntary, a choice of submitting one’s will.
- Christ…”Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine be done.” Luke 22:42.
- Us…”Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded…Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.” James 4:7-8,10.
The person offering is identified with the sacrifice by placing his hand on the animals head.
- Christ is the offering…”For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.”Heb. 10: 14.
- Us…”Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death.” Rom. 6:3.
Its blood is sprinkled at the door of the tabernacle. The only way its atonement brings acceptance from God is when it is applied to your life.
- Christ…”For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you upon this altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul…For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.”( Lev. 17:11;Matt. 26:28)
- Us…”Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him…and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (Romans 5:9; 1John1:7b).
The Israelites knew only a shadow of the things to come. We know the substance. How much more accountable are we with the knowledge we have? There is only one more offering required of us. Are you willing to give it?
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.” Rom. 12:1.
Is it possible for any of us to live a holy life? How are you doing in this area?
If you are interested in further study, Leviticus contains instructions for the meat offering, peace offering, sin offering, and trespass offering, all shadows of things to come.