This being an election year many place their hopes on a man/woman to lead them into a better world, be it a better economy, better jobs, peace, or health. God gives the blueprint for government in his word but government by mere humans will never fulfill our hopes. There is One and only One who can fulfill our hopes of a righteous government without end.
In Paul’s letter to Titus, he tells him and us where to place our hope, if we are looking for a better world.
“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation
hath appeared to all men.
Teaching us that,
denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,
we should live soberly, righteously, and godly,
in this present world; (2:12)
It begins when each of us embrace the salvation of the Lord.
- “For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts, and pleasures,
- living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
- But after that the kindness and love of God our Savior toward men appeared,
- Not by works of righteousness which we have done,
- but according to his mercy he saved us,
- by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
- Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior;
- That being justified by his grace,
- we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (3:3-7).
Embracing salvation through Jesus Christ we are no longer who we were ruled by a sinful nature. We now have the power to turn away from
- ungodliness – that would be anything distorting the image of Christ in us –
- and worldly lusts – selfish desires tying us to this world.
- With the power of the Holy Spirit in us we can now live
- soberly – with right thinking and self-control –
- righteously – in a right manner toward God and others –
- and godly – reflecting the image of Christ in us.
Want a better world in the here and now? Start by embracing Jesus Christ. But don’t stop here for there is still a better world to come. As we are –
“Looking for that blessed hope,
and the glorious appearing
of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
Who gave himself for us,
that he might redeem us from all iniquity,
and purify unto himself a peculiar people,
zealous of good works.” (2:13,14).
The hope the world dangles in front of our noses rests on people, leaving it uncertain. The hope God gives us is a blessed hope, a certain hope for it is based in who He is. It is based on him dwelling in us.
“In hope of eternal life,
which God, that cannot lie,
promised before the world began;”
Eternal life is the new life we possess the moment we trust Jesus Christ as our Savior. We reap some of its blessings here but not fully until the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
Upon his appearing Christ will make all things new. We will have a new body, a new world, and all our hope realized. We will dwell with the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ.
“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes:
and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying,
neither shall there be any more pain:
for the former things are passed away.
And he that sat upon the throne said
Behold, I make all things new.
And he said unto me,
Write: for these words are true and faithful.”
Do you have this hope? Would you like to have this hope? Hear the invitation of the Savior.
“And he said unto me,
It is done.
I am Alpha and omega, the beginning and the end.
I will give unto him that is athrist
of the fountain of the water of life freely.
He that overcometh shall inherit all things;
and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.”
If you have received this certain hope, Paul leaves us more instruction in Titus to bring this hope to all in the world now.
“This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly,
that they which have believed in God
might be careful to maintain good works.
These things are good and profitable unto men.” (3:8).
Jesus Christ is our hope, our sure hope. He is our God, our Savior, our King now and forever. There will be no more elections for He will reign supreme in his kingdom forever. God promised.