Many leave their Christmas lights and decorations up throughout January. I’m not one of those. Mine are tucked away until next year. The party day has come and gone, but celebrating Jesus continues in the hearts and minds of His children. If it doesn’t, then celebrating was missed altogether.
I’ve always pictured celebrating Jesus meaning to worship and rejoice giving Him the honor and glory He’s due. Which it is. But there’s more. The definition includes to keep, commemorate and observe, which are all a part of worship and result in a life of rejoicing.
So, how are we to celebrate Jesus?
“…take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently,
lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life:
but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons:” Deut. 4:9.
…take heed to thyself –
“God…Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son…
- Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard lest at any time we should let them slip…
- How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation…
- Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?
- by taking heed thereto according to thy word.” Heb. 1:1,2;2:1,3; Ps. 119:9)
…and keep thy soul diligently –
- “With my whole heart have I sought thee:
- O let me not wander from thy commandments.
- Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
- “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak…
- Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is…Watch. (Psalm 119:10,11; Matt. 26:41; Mark 13:33,37b).
…lest thou forget –
- “…beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
- Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him…
- Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof …
- For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness…
- But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God,
- ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.” (Deut. 6:12,13; Rom.6: 12,20,22;).
…the things which thine eyes have seen –
- “That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you
- that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ…
- the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power…
- wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,” (1John 1:3;Eph. 1:19,20).
…lest they depart from thy heart –
- “…attend to my words;
- incline thine ear unto my sayings.
- Let them not depart from thine eyes;
- keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
- Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life…
- Love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.(Prov. 4:20-23;Matt. 22:37).
…teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons –
- “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
- baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
- and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” Matt. 28:19,20.
The day of celebrating His birth may be passed but the opportunities to celebrate Him are before us. Celebrate Jesus…
- Hear him,
- seek him,
- stay in the word,
- watch and pray,
- keep Him first in your heart,
- remember all He has done and
- share Him with others in word and deed.
Then will life be filled with reason to rejoice no matter the life circumstances waiting around the New Year corner.
What makes it possible for you to rejoice or have joy when the trials of life come your way? Is it possible to rejoice when sorrow is in the heart?