“Blessed are the peacemakers:
for they shall be called the children of God.”
Fear grips the hearts of people. Division causes chaos. Our government refuses to work in harmony with one another. The confusion touches every area of our lives – schools, shopping, families, church – nothing is exempt. What has happened?
Isaiah summarizes the situation.
- “Their feet run to evil,
- and they make haste to shed innocent blood:
- their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity;
- wasting and destruction are in their paths.
- The way of peace they know not;
- and there is no judgment in their goings:
- they have made them crooked paths:
- whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace.” Isaiah 59:7,8
For too long we’ve traveled on a crooked path. Where are the peacemakers? Who are they? There is no peace among the wicked.
“There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.”
No peace among the wicked? Then it must dwell in the righteous.
- “And the work of righteousness shall be peace;
- and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
- And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation,
- and in sure dwellings,
- and in quiet resting places.” Isaiah 32:17-18
Before we can live in harmony with one another, we must live in harmony with God. Jesus Christ is the only way to receive the righteousness that brings us peace with the Father.
“For it pleased the Father
that in him should all fulness dwell:
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross,
by him to reconcile all things unto himself …
And you, that were sometime alienated
and enemies in your mind by wicked works,
yet now hath he reconciled
in the body of his flesh through death,
to present you
holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:”
The blessed peacemakers have received peace with God and now point others to him. Who is better to testify to the Father than his children.
“The word which God sent unto the children of Israel,
- preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:
- That word, I say, ye know …
- How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power:
- who went about doing good,
- and healing all that were oppressed of the devil;
- for God was with him.
- And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem:
- whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
- Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly…
And he commanded us to preach unto the people,
and to testify
that it is he which was ordained of God
to be the Judge of the quick and dead.”
“Now then we are ambassadors for Christ,
as though God did beseech you by us:
we pray you in Christ’s stead,
be ye reconciled to God.”
2 Corinthians 5:20
Without God there is no peace only brief moments of fickle harmony. With God no matter our circumstances the peacemakers know the blessing of the peace of God. For we are called his children. He has given us the high calling of being his own and being his ambassadors. As his ambassadors, He has given us the privilege of representing him to a world at odds with him. We do this as we display his character of peace to others – as we live in harmony with even our enemies.
Jesus tells us –
- “But love ye your enemies,
- and do good,
- and lend, hoping for nothing again;
- and your reward shall be great,
- and ye shall be the children of the Highest:
- for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.” Luke 6:35
When the King of Peace reigns in the heart, then peace will reign in the person and in the land. Until then remember Paul’s words to the Roman Christians –
- “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you,
- live peaceably with all men…
- Be not overcome of evil,
- but overcome evil with good…
- Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace,
- and things wherewith one may edify another.” Romans 12:18,21; 14:19
Receive God’s blessing, his highest for your life, the blessing of peace with him. Then you will know the blessing of the peacemaker.
As a child of the Highest how will you sow seeds of righteousness that bring peace?