“And because ye are sons,
God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts,
crying Abba, Father.”
That first cry, the first cuddle, the first glimpse of a life born into the world. These things filled my heart with joy when I experienced the births of my three children. I remember the first time they stood on wobbly legs. Almost a year of countless bottles of milk, playing little exercise games with their legs, and watching them learn to crawl came before seeing them stand alone. Yet, they were not really alone.
A few years later each increased my joy. At different ages they declared their faith in Christ. At that time they didn’t understand being born again. They only knew for the asking and believing Jesus came into their hearts. They were babies in Christ born of the Spirit and now cried, “Abba, Father,” as they waited for us to continue feeding them the milk of the word.
“As newborn babes,
desire the sincere milk of the word,
that ye may grow thereby:
If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.”
1 Peter 2:2,3
All who have been born of the Spirit of God have tasted the Lord’s grace. Through the word we are strengthened to stand in the knowledge of our God, what he has done for us, and in us.
- “Therefore being justified by faith,
- we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
- By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand,
- and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Romans 5:1,2
Our strength to stand in a world wanting to knock us down comes in learning who we are in Christ and recognizing it is not by our strength we stand. It is by the Spirit of Christ in us.
In Christ we are –
Justified by faith…
“the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
- For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
- Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Romans 3:22-24
Paul said all this to say this –
- Christ’s death paid our debt of sin.
- He took on our sin and gave us his righteousness.
- We now have peace with God.
- We are right/just before him since we have been born of his Spirit.
- This is God’s gift of grace through Jesus Christ
- and no one or power can ever take it from us.
Stand in this truth when Satan, the world, or personal weakness tries to accuse you otherwise.
“What shall we then say to these things?
If God be for us, who can be against us?
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all,
how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect?
It is God that justifieth.
We no longer stand in our strength but by the grace of God. And we do not stand alone. For the Spirit of Christ dwells in us –
“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:
and the life which I now live in the flesh
I live by the faith of the Son of God,
who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
and he clothes us in his strength –
“Finally, my brethren,
be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.”
He has given us an arsenal of protection to stand against the darkness of this world. It contains His –
- Gospel of Peace,
- Shield of Faith,
- and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Found in Ephesians 6:14-17)
The Spirit of Christ in us also carries us to the throne of God for strength when feel we cannot stand.
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities:
for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:
but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us
with groanings which cannot be uttered.
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit,
because he maketh intercession for the saints
according to the will of God.”
“Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God,
- let us hold fast our profession…
- Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,
- that we may obtain mercy,
- and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:14-16
When your legs of faith become wobbly remember –
- Christ in you is your strength;
- He is your arsenal of protection;
- He is praying on your behalf;
- His grace is sufficient
“And he said unto me,
My grace is sufficient for thee;
for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me…
for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
2 Corinthians 12:9,10b
When you are weak, where do you turn for strength?
2 thoughts on “Strength to Stand”
Christ is truly my strength especially when my faith is on shaky ground
LikeLiked by 1 person
He is our firm foundation. Thanks for stopping by.
LikeLiked by 1 person