“And an highway shall be there,
and a way, and it shall be called,
The way of holiness;
- the unclean shall not pass over it;
- but it shall be for those[the saved]:
- the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.
- No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there;
- but the redeemed shall walk there:
- And the ransomed of the LORD shall return,
- and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads:
- they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.” Isaiah 35:8-10
Some would say these promises are only for Israel. But notice, they are for the redeemed, the ransomed of the Lord. I don’t know about you but that’s me. And one day I will march to Zion with a song of joy and gladness. Until then I will sing it in anticipation of that day. Only those in the Way of holiness will come.
John the Baptist proclaimed that Way to those who would hear –
“The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith,
Behold the Lamb of God,
which taketh away the sin of the world …
And I saw, and bare record
that this is the Son of God.”
Through the blood of the Lamb, the precious Son of God, the wall of division between Jew and Gentile is torn down. Jesus is the way of holiness and all are invited to walk the highway with him.
- “Shew me thy ways, O LORD;
- teach me thy paths
- Lead me in thy truth, and teach me;
- for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
- Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.
- Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions:
- according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O LORD.” Psalm 25:4-7
Teach us the way of the cross – the bridge to the highway of holiness.
“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness;
but unto us which are saved it is the power of God …
For I determined not to know any thing among you,
save Jesus Christ, and him crucified …
That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men,
but in the power of God.”
1 Corinthians 1:18; 2:2,5
Father, you have saved us through the power and wisdom of the cross of Christ. May we proclaim, him and him alone. For it is only by your power we are saved and walk this way of holiness. By Christ we are made holy.
“But as he which hath called you is holy,
so be ye holy in all manner of conversation …
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children:
And walk in love,
as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us
an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.”
1 Peter 1:15; Ephesians 5:1,2
Father, may we walk in the love of Christ bearing your holy name to a lost world. May we be a sweet fragrance to you and bring you praise.
The Praise & Promise:
“Good and upright is the LORD:
- therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
- The meek will he guide in judgment:
- and the meek will he teach his way.” Psalm 25:8-9
“For thou, LORD, hast made me glad through thy work:
I will triumph in the works of thy hands:
O LORD, how great are thy works!
And thy thoughts are very deep …
For with thee is the fountain of life:
in thy light shall we see light.”
Psalm 92:4,5;36: 9
“For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
O the depth of the riches
both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are his judgments,
and his ways past finding out!
FOR WHO HATH KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD? OR WHO HATH BEEN HIS COUNSELLOR? OR WHO HATH FIRST GIVEN TO HIM, AND IT SHALL BE RECOMPENSED UNTO HIM AGAIN?
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things:
to whom be glory for ever. Amen.”
We thank you, Father for the wisdom, power, and love found in the way of the cross of Christ. May we offer you ourselves as a living sacrifice of praise.