This week brings us to the last “I Am” statement of John 14:6 –
“Jesus saith unto him,
I am the way, the truth,
and the life;
no man cometh unto the Father,
but by me.”
Three previous posts deal with the life Jesus gives us opportunity to enter. They are “The Door of Opportunity”, “The Door to Abundant Life,” and the “Three ‘Ps’ of Abundant Life.” These show Jesus as the way to life. John says, Jesus is the life – not just the opportunity to life.
Moses reveals a necessary component of life in Leviticus 17:14 –
- “For it is the life of all flesh;
- the blood of it is for the life thereof:
- therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh:
- for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof:
- whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.”
I’m sure this is not shock to anyone – without blood we have no life. The Blue Letter Bible web site refers to this insight, we take so for granted, one of revelation and one that has been confirmed by anatomists’ experiments. Those are experiments I would not have volunteered for! Today, we know life bleeds out of the body in 2-5 minutes depending on which main artery is severed. Life is in the blood. If the blood is gone, so is the life.
Not too many years ago some people pushed to have the blood removed from the Bible. It was too offensive. Bottom line – remove the blood from the Bible and you remove its life giving message.
Life’s Passage and The Trade-Off:
Jesus gives us a picture of him being the life and the source of life being his blood –
“Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man,
and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood,
hath eternal life:
and I will raise him up at the last day.”
“Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many …
- In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace …
- neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood, he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us …
- and without the shedding of blood is no remission …
- So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many …
- For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” Matthew 20:28; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 9:12,22,28; 2 Corinthians 5:21
Under the law, a life taken required another life to be given. Satan robbed us, through his deceit and our disobedience, of the life God gave in the beginning. We died that day. But the Life came and took our death with the giving of his own blood that we could once again live. He has taken our blood tainted with sinful DNA and given us a life giving transfusion of his blood filled with pure DNA. He has made the unaccepted acceptable.
“Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children
by Jesus Christ to himself,
according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein
he hath made us accepted in the beloved.”
It’s time to trade in the old life of death for the new life that never dies. It’s found in the blood of Jesus Christ – who is the life. He is the way to life. He is the life of the Father revealed in truth. And only through the holy blood of Christ can we possess the life he provides for us. What blood flows through your heart?