Family Gifts: Heritage & Inheritance
“And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli …
the son of Nathan, which was the son of David …
which was the son of Juda, Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham …
Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam,
which was the son of God.”
(from Luke 3:23-38,KJV)
A few Christmases ago our children gifted their dad with an ancestry program. It proved to be an interesting study and is still evolving with a few surprises. Although our personal genealogies can be fascinating, very few people find the long lists of descendants found in scripture a must read—unless they’re trying to fall asleep.
The family listing of Jesus found in Luke’s gospel should peak the interest of all who are the born again children of God—it’s our family line. It doesn’t matter whether born Jew or Gentile. This list is our spiritual heritage.
“For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus …
And if ye be Christ’s,
then are ye Abraham’s seed,
and heirs according to the promise.”
Galatians 3:26,29, KJV
Being spiritually born into the family of God by his grace through faith in Jesus Christ, we have a new standing. We are heirs to the kingdom of God according to the promise the Lord God made to Abraham.
“Wherefore thou art no more a servant,
- but a son:
- and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ …
- And if children, then heirs;
- heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ;
if so be that we suffer with him,
that we may be also glorified together.”
Galatians 4:7; Romans 8:17, KJV
With this new heritage we have received a new identity with a new purpose.
- “But ye are a chosen generation,
- a royal priesthood,
- an holy nation,
- a peculiar people;
that ye should shew forth the praises of him
- who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- Which in time past were not a people,
- but are now the people of God:
- which had not obtained mercy,
- but now have obtained mercy.” 1Peter 2:9-10, KJV
The marred image of Adam, our first father, has been replaced with the image of Jesus Christ to reflect again the image of God we were created to bear.
“For whom he did foreknow,
he also did predestinate
- to be conformed to the image of his Son,
- that he might be the firstborn among many brethren …
Being confident of this very thing,
that he which hath begun a good work in you
will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:”
Romans 8:29, Philippians 1:6, KJV
And when the day of Jesus Christ comes our heritage has the promise of an inheritance.
“In my Father’s house are many mansions:
if it were not so, I would have told you.
- I go to prepare a place for you.
- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself;
- that where I am, there ye may be also …
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying,
- Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men,
- and he will dwell with them,
- and they shall be his people,
- and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
- And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;
- and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain:
- for the former things are passed away …
And he said unto me
It is done.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
I will give unto him that is athirst
of the fountain of the water of life freely.
He that overcometh shall inherit all things,
and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.”
John 14:2-3; Revelation 21:3-4, 6-7, KJV.
My physical heritage isn’t made up of the rich and famous according to worldly standards. But it is rich in ancestors who have passed on the value of having an eternal heritage that includes an eternal inheritance. What heritage and inheritance do you hope to leave the next generation?