“For with thee is the fountain of life:
in thy light shall we see light.”
In Prayer One Morning:
Dawn awakened the earth. Light creeped into the sky with specks of gold overshadowed by the tallest trees standing above the rising sun. Puffy gray and white clouds clung to each other taking on shapes of their own. I smiled at the fire breathing dragon floating across the blue sky. I closed my eyes and began to pray. “Our Father which is in heaven …”
In a moment, my eyes searched the heavens again as if to catch a glimpse of the face of God. Being easily distracted, the dragon caught my attention. It’s form began to lose the fiery shape as the sun’s glory rose slowly above the trees. I smiled, closed my eyes, and continued praying until the final sentence.
“For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.” Beginning those words, I lifted my head towards the heavens a third time. I smiled. The bright and glorious glow of the sun had risen above the trees and obliterated the dragon-cloud. Only the glory of the sun remained.
The Lord’s Promises:
One day the only light to shine will be that of Jesus Christ who is the one who gave us these promises –
“I am the light of the world:
- he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness,
- but shall have the light of life …
- Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance.
- In thy name shall they rejoice all the day:
- and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.
- In thy name shall they rejoice all the day…” John 8:12; Psalm 89:15-17a;
We who have the Light of life dwelling in us have reason to rejoice and to praise the Lord’s name all the day.
- “Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
- Thy righteousness is like the great mountains:
- thy judgments are a great deep:
- O LORD, thou preservest man and beast.
How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God!
Therefore the children of men
put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
- They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house;
- and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
- For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.” Psalm 36:5-10.
It’s easy to sit at my desk, put the world and its troubles aside for a moment, and praise the Lord. But then the time comes to walk in the world against that dragon of old, called satan, who pretends to be an angel of light but is actually, “as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.” And most of the time he doesn’t wait until we walk out the door but tries to overshadow the light of our Lord the moment our eyes open. That is why we need to be diligent in prayer to walk in the light of Christ until he returns.
- “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed …
Each day is a gift from you taking us one step closer to the day our salvation by faith becomes sight. Knowing this, may we be on guard and not let our hearts be lulled to sleep by the world’s cares or satan’s lies. For –
- The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness … rioting, and drunkenness, not in chambering, and wantonness, not in strife, and envying…
Help us remember we are children of light. Fill us with your love and a love for you that keeps us from participating in the world of darkness – wild parties, drunkenness, sexual indiscretions, immoral living, quarreling, and jealousy, nor any other thing that would bring shame to your holy name. Each day –
- Let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day… (and) put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (From Romans 13:11-14)
May we remember we are clothed in the righteousness of Christ, and sin has no more reign over us. Help us walk in the righteousness that is ours through Christ. May your Light of life shine through us to a dark world providing hope for those who still wander in darkness. Amen.
The day is coming when the saved of the Lord will see no darkness, and the sun’s brightness will pale in the light of the glory of the Father and the Son.
“And the city had no need of the sun,
neither of the moon, to shine in it:
for the glory of God did lighten it,
and the Lamb is the light thereof …
I am the root and the offspring of David,
and the bright and morning star.”
Today, while it is still day may we receive the admonition of the–
“Kings of the earth, and all people;
princes, and all judges of the earth:
Both young men, and maidens;
old men, and children:
Let them praise the name of the LORD:
for his name alone is excellent;
his glory is above the earth and the heaven.”
- May your days be blessed as you walk in the Light of life. May we praise his name together.